Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Thorny Place Called America

Have you read the parable about the Sower? 
If you haven't take a minute to go read Mark 4:1-20. I have read those two passages a million times, but it honestly hasn't ever clicked as well as it did for me today.

Lately God has been putting it on my heart to simplify, simplify, simplify. 
But I am embarrassed to admit that I just pushed it aside. The only things I ever buy come from goodwill and I don't remember the last time I have bought anything over $10 (besides my wedding dress which was a whopping $15). Again I am embarrassed to say that I was feeling pretty good about myself. I was also thinking that this whole "simplify your life" thing was just a trend and I was hopping on.

But I don't think its a trend, I think God has been whispering in my ear to let go. To give Him EVERYTHING.

Because truthfully, every single thing we own ties us down to the world. A couple of days ago I read this in my quiet time...."But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." (1 Timothy 6:8)

And today I read Mark 4:1-20.

Here's an excerpt:

 The farmer sows the word. 15 Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. 16 Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy.17 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, and they prove unfruitful. 20 Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”

I have realized that I am a seed among thorns. I was born among thorns. Anyone who has been born in America lives in a place of "the american dream", full of wealth, cars, expensive houses, name brand clothing, and a status to maintain. And the more things that we own, the more worries we have. The more things to take care of, to clean, to insure. Each new thing we receive gives us another distraction. Getting "more" requires more of us. more of our time, efforts, thoughts. Our stuff begins to consume us. 

You see, the "more", the "stuff" is thorns. They are deceitful thorns always making us think that we need more. Have you ever noticed how you are never satisfied with what you have? You buy something one week and the next month there is something else you want. I am guilty of that. But these things are thorns.

Just think about it: what if you only had 10 pieces of clothing (give or take)....all those worries about what to wear would fly out the window. What if the only things we owned were the necessities...a bed, some clothes, some food? 1 timothy 6:8. Do we even realize how much more room that would leave for Jesus? (Not to mention are finances would be so much better because we wouldn't be spending it on wasteful things.) The more stuff we accumulate, the more we are attached to things of this world. When we nurture our desire/love for worldly things, the desires will only grow. Likewise, when we nourish our desire and love for Jesus, it will only grow.

Now let's take a minute and look at what it means to have good soil. The people on good soil hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop--some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown. People on good soil have no thorns, and they have roots deep into the ground. Their soil is nourished by the word of God. Thorns do not choke them out because they are so focused on Jesus that none of that stuff matters. 
Nothing else matters. 
Nothing but Jesus. 
The people in the good soil multiply. Some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown! And how to we multiply? Through discipleship. Through investing our lives into other lives. Through planting a seed.
And if that is true.....why is discipleship an option in the christian life?? Why is discipleship on the backburner while cute clothes, schoolwork, home decor, and work come first?? What truly matters in our life?? That is how we will identify thorns. Thorns are the things we serve instead of Christ. What we give our time and efforts to.

How are we living radically different from the world???

When people look at me, what do they see? My fashion? My brand new gadgets (iphone, cool watch, ipad)? Or do they see my love for Christ?

I am overwhelmed with this topic. I am so embarrassed of myself and the church.
If we are the church, why arn't we rising up?
If we are the church why arn't we pleading with God to start a revival in our hearts?
If we are the church, why do other things take precedence over the King of kings?

I struggled writing this post. I feel as though it will step on some toes. Because trust me, I love cute clothes and home decor and fancy gadgets. Those things in themselves are not bad, its the way we put them before Jesus that is bad. It's the way we make them idols. And maybe you are able to keep all that stuff and put Jesus first. If you can, you are a superhero to me....because I can't. My selfish little heart will put it all away for a while and then go back in my closet and pull it all back out. I have to get rid of everything that is distracting me, because Jesus is everything. And I want to LIVE the word. I don't want to read a passage and say "Oh thats a good idea!" but never put it into action. And the word of God is not advice for how to live your life, it is THE WAY to live your life. It's not a suggestion. I have been living like it was a suggestion.

Not anymore.

The People of the Cross....please stand up. 

Lets be warriors for the kingdom of God. 

-Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment