Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Until the Coffee Goes Cold








Do you have a quiet time with Jesus every day?
If so, where do you go to spend time with Him?
Is it a cozy little corner? Maybe outside in a shady place? Or maybe even in the privacy of a closed closet?
Once you have found a place to spend time with Him, are there certain things you have with you?
A journal? Your bible? A cup of coffee?
 
When I have my quiet time each morning, I like to get cozy in the corner chair in my room. I usually have my Chihuahua in my lap and a cup of coffee in my hand. I always write my prayers so that I don't get distracted in the middle, so I have my journal and my bible. I also love to read "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers every morning. (If you have never read this devotional I highly recommend it! ) I like to get up before anyone in my house so that I can have silence with my Savior. A time to really listen without TV's in the background or trying to eavesdrop on conversations (ok you caught me. guilty as charged.)
 
I try to  really truly act like I'm sitting down with Jesus and pouring my heart out to Him.
I tell Him my flaws, ask how I can fix them, and write down scripture that deal with those things.
I tell Him my dreams, my goals, my desire to be like Him and to know Him.
I tell Him that sometimes I just don't think I can handle another day. I just don't think I can do it and I ask Him to come and hold my hand, to fill me with His spirit and guide me. He does just that.
Some days I come to Him crying and some days I come to Him singing.
 
He doesn't care how we come...as long as we come.
 
My absolute favorite times with Jesus is when I'm in that quiet place. That secret place where its only me & Him. Where He holds me. Teaches me. Fills me.
 
"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
-Psalm 91:1
 
When I spend that time with Him, I see myself slowly changing. Sure I still get my sassy-pants on sometimes and say things without thinking it through first (cough-cough - 2 days ago at my mama) but for the most part, when I spend my first moments with Him, He changes my heart. He changes my desires. He changes my outlook on life.
 
It's in those moments where I get so wrapped up in what He's teaching me, that I forget everything else. My coffee eventually goes cold. Life comes to a standstill and only one thing matters. All of these things we think we need, the places we want to go, the people we want to please...none of it matters. The only thing that matters is Jesus.
 
He showed me this verse today:
"And He said to them, 'Take care, & be on guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of one's possessions.' "
-Luke 12:15
 
I'm not telling you all this to bring attention and glory to myself. That is exactly opposite of what I'm trying to do by writing this post. I'm trying to encourage. To encourage you to get alone with God and have Him transform you. He definitely transformed me. I was just telling some girls in the youth of my church how I used to be before I was in a personal relationship with Christ. I was all about myself. I was doing what I was supposed to do because I was the "good girl'. Aka " miss-goody-two-shoes". But my heart wasn't right. I wasn't living for the Lord. Maybe I'll write a post with my testimony one day.
 
I'm telling you all this because maybe today you need to get alone with God and get so lost in Him that your coffee goes cold.
 
Maybe today you just need to unplug & in rest in the promise He loves you. No matter what. And He's got you in the shelter of His wings.
 
Maybe today you need to embrace imperfection, and realize that the perfection of Christ covers all your flaws. But let me tell you, you have beautiful flaws.
 
xoxo,
Lace

2 comments:

  1. This post is beautiful! Our quiet times look almost identical except mine is sans chihuahua. ;) Thank you for reminding me of the importance of that quiet time with Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey, this is such a beautiful reminder of Christ's love for us. Thank you for encouraging me to get back into the word. It's been one of my goals for such a long time now, but this is such a sweet reminder of trusting in Jesus and surrendering your life and time to him. Thank you for such a great word of encouragement. You have beautiful flaws, too!

    ReplyDelete